Sunday, September 17, 2006

TV Land

First of all. We had a great move and LOVE the new place. It is better than we expected actually. Nice furniture, great windows and SPACIOUS! All is well and we will post some pics of the place in the next week or so.

Also, Saniya will begin school at the end of the month. She will go every morning from 8-12. She is excited and nervous. I am ecstatic to hang out with just Rowan, but am also having a little bit of empty nest syndrome. She and I have been together for the last 2 and 1/2 years.

So, let's talk TV. In the last 5 weeks, I have been getting the low down on the Swedish boob tube. First off, nothing except kids shows are dubbed. They are all subtitled in Swedish. At first I thought, 'why'? But, now I see. It is really great for familiarity with other languages, and helps to learn and be comfortable with other cultures. I love it! I try to figure out words and listen to the pronunciation for shows in German, Finnish, Norwegian, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Polish, I am sure others as well but I can't think of any right now.

Also, the commercials are all low key. There are no food commercials. I have seen one for Wasa crackers and one for a supermarket. The shows have commercials maybe two breaks for a one hour show. Trippy, huh. The shows start at odd times, like at 1:55 pm. Also, there will be no programming on a station for hours at a time, like in the middle of the day. Or programming won't begin on another station until say, 9:00 am. Weird. The U.S. is obsessed with selling stuff to keep their station #1. I think that they view TV as a public service here and it is not so competitive. Different.

Of course the nudity is different. Nothing is covered. Sat. afternoon I turned on the TV and there was a Swedish documentary on a nudist camp. There was everyone just hanging out. The nudity was less shocking for me, it was more that in the U.S. that would be soooooo controversial and never shown in that time slot, etc. Also, there is no dubbing of swear words on TV and no discretion of violence. We watch HBO shows on regular TV.. Sopranos is on every Sunday night.

One last thing is that there are no commercials for movies. I think this is standard among all channels. I'll see, but so far I can't think of a movie I have seen on any of the channels with a commercial. They have old movies on in the middle of the day here. I saw an early Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart movie a few weeks ago while everyone was napping. Lovin' it.

While I am thinking it. One thing about our apartment. They are tons of bunnies hopping around here. Our place looks onto a huge courtyard. There are black bunnies hopping all over the place grazing and being generally bunnyish. Saniya and Rowan are loving it. They look from our balcony onto all of the bunny action!

Yaz

1 Comments:

Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

now, is it really bunny "action" or just bunny action?
I am excited for you guys to be settled and start your meatball life officially!

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home