Monday, March 26, 2007

Rewards

As some of you know Yasmiene is enjoying herself in Ireland with a friend. That means I am home with Saniya and Rowan. It has been 3 days entirely by myself and 2 more to go. I'm over the hump. I won't bore you with stories of how many times I have to clean the kitchen and every room in the house, how much laundry needs to be done, how many cooked meals go uneaten, how many tears I need to wipe, how many butts I have to wipe, how many times I can walk into the same room and pick something up, because all of that is a given.

What is amazing is that Yaz has to do it everyday. My 3 day glimpse of her days makes me appreciate her and all the stay at home parents. Perhaps I have not been doing it long enough to even know what it's really like because it's so fresh and raw. But I'll take the liberty of pretending to understand it somewhat. Taking care of children is a condtradiction. It can be the most exhausting and physically demanding day (which is everyday), yet it is equally amazing and refreshing (which is everyday).

Walking to the grocery store without children is a typically mundane task, potentially entertaining if I bring along my ipod. I typically don't really notice things like the number of sticks I can pick up and drag along. Or seeing the excitement of finding a partially used roll of tape on Saniya's face. Or Rowan pointing and going "toot, toot" to everything with a wheel. These are the things that make my day rewarding. Sometimes it's hard to remember when you're in the thick of it but in the end I won't remember the poopy diapers, only the number of sticks along Sveavägen.

Rob

1 Comments:

Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

I almost wasn't going to check the site today, because chatty Yaz was away...but what a wonderful post! I was just complaining to my sister (who works in an office) about how tired I was...because I had played cards, watched Sesame Street, gone to the park, and gone grocery shopping. Luckily, I made myself laugh, because how lucky am I to get to spend time with these two wonderful people, and not in a desk with all the weirdos that I formerly worked with (nice people, but not my boys!)
Thanks Rob, have fun the rest of the week!

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home