Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Only the Lonely

I have had that song, "Only the lonely" stuck in my head all morning. I thought it was by Pat Benatar, but my google search just informed me it was 'The Motels". What a name for a band, huh? Anyways, that is my mood for the day. Other than Rob and the two offspring , I am alone. Not to say it is horrible. It reminds me of when I first moved to Seattle, when Rob and I were first together. I was not working and had lots of money from working in Alaska, but I knew no one except for Rob and his family. I did live in a basement apt with three other interesting characters, but it was a lot like it feels now. Remember that, Mary? I know it will pass, but today is sooooo my day for old hits from the 70's and 80's about being alone, or more precisely "only the lonely".

Our apartment will be great. It has a balcony and is in a complex built in 1984. It has hardwood floors, normal bathroom with bathtub, room for Saniya and Rowan, big open area with living room and kitchen extends off of it, then the master bedroom. They will leave everything we need from a highchair and crib, to all dishes and appliances, even toys for Saniya. She will use their dollhouse and dress up clothes and play pram (stroller). She's psyched. Also, they have skis we can use and she said when it snows people ski around the city. She said that Saniya will love skiing around the courtyard and along the water on the path. I didn't ask, but I bet they have bikes we can use as well.. It seems like everyone has a bike here. Rob just bought a used one for almost nothing.

There is another holiday this weekend. They love the holidays here, I guess. It seems like every week there is a holiday. It is called Midsummer. They celebrate it all over Scandinavia and in the Baltic States as well (we were looking up going to Estonia last night and saw it was a big holiday there too). It is a pagan holiday that celebrates summer solstice, sun and long days of summer. They actually string flowers and hang them on a maypole and dance around it. Then they do this dance that parodies a frog jumping. Hmmm.. Should be interesting. I am a bit foggy on the real details of the holiday, we'll let you know after this weekend. I do know it is a time when people go into nature and stay up all night and dance. We are going back to Skansen for their "Midsummer's Eve" (Friday). It is when children make the garlands and string them up and start the dancing. Then they have festivities for another 2 days. Saturday is actually "Midsummer", and Sunday is the last day of the festivities.

Yaz

1 Comments:

Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

You are so sweet...one part lonely blogger...one part travel agent. I love your descriptions and feel your lonliness pain. Hopefully someone will read your blog and write you a note!!! (hint...hint)
Becky said that when she was in Greece the Swedes had the CRAZIEST midsummer party....hold on to you hat!

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home