Sunday, September 24, 2006

School Daze

Saniya begins preschool this week. She will go from 8-12:30 everyday. Rob will take her in the morning and I will pick her up after they have their lunch. There is a craft studio, exercise gym, water and toilet area, outdoor play area, quiet room, and eating area. It is four blocks from our apartment. We visited last week and it looks great. There are 19 children, in her group, between age 3-5. Most are 3, so that is good. The teachers speak English, but they said they will speak Swedish to her and then she can respond in English. Saniya is asking what words are in Swedish and seems excited to learn. She brings up, "what is cloud, crying, binkie, plate, and zucchini in Swedish?" You can tell what is happening in her life. There is a cook that prepares meals and it looked very healthy with lots of fruit and veges. Pick up and drop off is very relaxed. I think parents come whenever it works for them, when they are early they just show up. I think as long as you stay under 30 hours per week, then it is whatever works for you. The out of pocket expense for us is about $50 per month for up to 30 hours per week. Then, if one wants to do up to 40 hours per week it is about $100 per month. Those are set amounts for all schools for all children age 1-6. When I ask Saniya what she thinks about her school, she says she is "sick about not having friends", which means she feels nervous about school and making new friends (I think). Rob will stay with her the entire time for the first two weeks or so until she feels comfortable. Yeah!

I am really excited to have just Rowan. He is walking now and is into EVERYTHING! He is so cute though. What a great age. But, then I keep saying that about each month. I think, "oh, this is the best".

We love the apt. Still have to put up some pixs. So much is offered with the place. Any extra beds or appliances are available if we ask. I just went on a long walk round Haga Park. It is this really great park that we used to go to for picnics in the summer.

I will register for Swedish classes tomorrow. I am looking forward to that. So, with Saniya at school and me in language class I think intense language immersion will begin. Rob can take language classes at the university, he needs to register though.

The leaves are starting to turn here. The weather is still sunny and warm. The days are getting shorter and there is a definite anticipation for the winter. I am excited to see everything freeze over. The iced lakes and people skating, should be very Nordic!

Yasmiene

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home