Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Some of this and some of that


Saniya at gymnastics class
Sooooo balanced!

Rowan sledding the last time it snowed.
I feel like we have become the every two week bloggers. I guess that is our pace for now. The weather in Stockholm is dismal. It is rainy with no snow in sight. I really want to go skiing and have Saniya try it. I have to say that the energy to spend in organizing and sorting it out is just too much right now. If it snows I am hoping I will get motivated to do it. Also, Rob and I bought skates and are itching to go skating on the lake behind our house. So, we wait for the cold... I know that sounds odd, but there are really fun activities here when it get cold!
Rowan is sick again. He has a fever/cold thing. It is annoying, but he is ok. Just the waiting game. I have become a pessimist though, I am waiting for Saniya to get sick right after Rowan is better. We will see what happens. I hope I am proven wrong.

What else.... job wise no new info. Rob and I have been looking at jobs together the last few nights. What a way for a couple to connect! I guess just finding the time to connect is the important thing and if it is about potential work in the wee hours of the night, then that is life with small children.
We, in Sweden, and the rest of the world are watching the true woes of the U.S. right now. The financial sector is a mess. On a selfish note I am itching to come back and invest right now. But, on a realistic note, it would be a stressful and trying time to be there. It seems people are very stressed and scared, rightly so. It is hard to think of doing well off of others demise.

On a related note, somewhat, Rob and I just watched "Sicko" by Michael Moore. Truly a needed film for everyone. I can not tell you the friends and family that have been financially and medically effected by the defunct U.S. healthcare system. I think that in Sweden the same is amount of money spent per person. The difference is that one makes use of it when needed and not because one qualifies. I am not really going to use the medical system now. I am healthy. It is when my kids are sick or I am older or an accident or illness incurs. Then all are covered here. The likely time for these events is when one is not working and if in the U.S. would not qualify. Also, there is a cultural education from early childhood around health, wellness, and preventative health. This is a country 1/30th the population of the U.S. and you would think the U.S. is too big for universal care. But, the reality is that we can provide for all people to be healthy in a more efficient way if it is bigger. As well, Sweden have private companies contracting with the government for care. It is not "socialized" in that sense. Just some thoughts for you all.
On a last note, Rob shaved his goatee this weekend. He is clean shaven for the second time since I met him over 12 years ago. I think I like it better than the first time he did it. Change is good.
Yasmiene







1 Comments:

Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

Interesting stuff...I am so bummed about the healthcare "systems" here that I would much rather think about Rob shaving. AND I think that recently, it has been colder here than there...weird.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home