Sunday, July 16, 2006

Off to Gotland

We're heading out to Gotland this morning so you're going to have to read this post over and over for the next 2 weeks. We've packed everything in 2 backpacks and are traveling light. Should be an interesting experience. We're catching a train to Nynäshamn which will take about an hour. From there we grab a ferry to Visby which will take about 3 hours. Ah to be on the sea again, smelling the salt air. How my heart palpitates. At least I'll be on deck.

Speaking of smells... we went out yesterday walking around the town. We went into a second hand clothing store and to my amazement it smelled just like Value Village in Eugene. So if you want to smell a bit of Sweden I recommend you visit that store. What an olfactory delight!

The rest of the walk was less odiferous and quite nice. We spent the day strolling down tree lined streets in Östermalm. It used to be a notorious slum in the mid 1800's but now is quite upperclass. City planning and all that.

I also stopped in an American grocery store to see what there was. About the only thing I considered buying was Tony's cajun spice. I hear that it is the only place to get Oreos in the city as well. There were plenty of potato chips and peanut butter. American cuisine at its finest.

Saniya is particularly excited to go camping. We'll see if her enthusiasm can last the 12 days we'll be gone. I am eyeing our paper thin sleeping pads suspiciously, suspecting that I am going to be one big backache when I return. It will also likely mean that Yasmiene will want a backrub everynight. But maybe the fresh air will somehow prevent my back joints from fusing.

I am glad for the vacation. It has been a stressful couple weeks. I solved a new structure and was writing up the paper. Writers block hit me pretty hard. (Hope you don't have it Laura) The paper still needs work but overall I am pleased with it and the structure is quite good. I'll talk more about it when it's published. Didn't think I would be getting a paper out so soon, but I'll deal with it.

I also arranged for an apartment for the weeks we're without a home. So we'll have a temporary home. It is on the same island, .Södermalm, as our more permanent abode. It is on the west side of the island which is on the opposite side. So we'll get to see another part of the city. It is even smaller than our current place. Gonna be tight. 30 kvm = 323 sq ft. At least we won't be forced to tent under a freeway overpass. But maybe the camping in Gotland would condition me to such conditions...

It is good to hear from all of you as well. I know your emails and skype calls have allowed for a little bit of sanity to appear every now and then. So thanks for that.

Rob

2 Comments:

Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

Wow, Rob writes! Congrats on the paper and on the EXCITING trip. I always like to hear the Sweden saga from the "Big Daddy" perception. I can't wait for the thrilling trip re-cap when you return. Love each other!

3:10 AM  
Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

this is seeming like a long trip to me....when are you guys coming back.......?

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home