Monday, August 07, 2006

History?

Nice hand off there Yaz. I'll talk about the history? Perhaps. Just not sure where to begin. I would much rather post pics up about the trip. Therefore, I will post a few more highlights and not drag out our trip much longer. I really feel I need to read up on the Hanseatic League to talk about Visby. Oh and about Martin Luther and his 95 theses. Rather than bore the readership with trivial details I'll just jump into the pictures.

Well, before I do that I need to fill you in on the current drama. I'll preface the following with the statement that if there were no forests, bureaucracies would not exist. So I went to get my Swedish ID today thinking I'll have the hot item in my hand today so I can get a on a cell phone plan. What a dreamer I am. I was initially worried because my picture I had taken was not showing my ear. I thought I would have to get another photo taken. Fortunately that was not the case. The ear photo is for driver's licenses and passports which is the new way. The ID will accept either the ear or no ear. The distance between the iris and the bottom of the cheek must measure 50mm. Oh and they measure it too. I witnessed the scrutiny first hand. I trembled slightly as the ruler was brought to my photo. If she was having a bad day would I be sent for a new photo because the distance measured was 49.35mm? I was not sent away but I didn't get the ID either.

It is going to take 3-4 weeks to get a slip of paper saying I can pick up my ID from where I applied for it. Happened to be central station so that is good as everything ends up there and it's easy to get to. But if you're following closely you'll realize that we're not going to have an address during this time. If the paper is delivered and we're not there it will be returned and filed in a huge warehouse somewhere above the arctic circle. I'll be out 300 sek and going back again after I finally get a permanent address. Not an option.

I almost forgot to tell you that I needed a specific form (personbevis) from the Skatteverket (tax office), a passport, and a person with an ID with you to vouch for my identity, to even apply for the ID.

After much deliberation I decided to use my boss' address as my new address for now. I need to send the change of address to the tax office then wait a few days for it to go through, order another personbevis with the new address, take the form to the svensk kassaservice in central station to let them know of the change so they can send the slip of paper to the new address. If all goes well I'll get the slip of paper and return to central station to pick up my fancy swedish ID.

And to think I was imagining that I would walk in there with my form, my passport, my swedish ID wielding citizen, and 300 swedish crowns and walk out with an ID. Ha! I'm looking forward to getting my ID so I can then fill out some paperwork to get a cell phone.

End of rant.

On to the pics. Will be more later but here's a dose:

The bike that became one with the butt, or was it the other way around?


Fashion queen at the beach


Our spot on the Baltic


Smile!


Crashed


Medieval torture device



The last pic is not Saniya having a time out but a safe and humane way of strapping the head back so it isn't jostled on the bike ride, while taking a nap. I'd really like to see the same sort of things on airplanes. I could use it.

Rob

2 Comments:

Blogger jmb_craftypickle said...

I love all the pictures, you guys look like such a happy family! No, really, I think that you guys are such good ambassadors for our "country". You look so.....peachy cute!

And I think that I love "personbevis"....wasn't that a hit on Mtv in the 90's?

Also history shmistory, I like the saga of the meatballs in Sweden. It is so great.

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks like a great trip, any photos of the fabled art in the churches?

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home